Monday, May 26, 2008

Workout Tuesday 20 May

1) Atomic Push-Ups on JG

* feet suspended in straps
* bring knee-to-elbow
* plank-style push-up w/ feet in stirrups

2) BW Rows

each done for a max set.

Next, a non-stop circuit:

3) Bulgarian Bag Jump Squats x 25

** Comment: these were surprisingly brutal! I do plenty of BW and weighted squats but I haven't done any explosive squats in some time and they were very taxing.

4) Sledgehammer Swings 20# x 15 L/R

5) Alternating Shield Cast 15# x 15 L/R

6) KB Snatch 16kg x 25 L/R

7) Hindu Push-Ups on push-board x 20

8) Windmills x 5 L/R with 5-count stretch at the bottom

2 rounds

Each circuit = 7 1/2 min w/ 3-min rest between circuits

This is a sample of circuit training using implements that activate the entire body from toes to nose. The idea is to systemically fatigue the body as opposed to isolating muscle groups like is commonly done in bodybuilding circuits. This type of circuit has many advantages over straight sets:

It allows partial recovery so that more work can be done, thus an increase in total work capacity. For example, if I were to simply do the push-up sequences in straight sets, my arms, shoulders and chest would quickly tire, but by sandwiching other exercises between push-up sets, I'm able to extend myself and perform more work. This is good, especially if strength-endurance is the goal.

I also like circuit training because of the pronounced, elevated heart rate. Because you're changing exercises every minute or so, the work load is spread over the entire body while systemically, the heart is still pumping like mad, as opposed to doing squats until your thighs burn out, wherein the average person might only last three minutes or so. As a result, whole-body circuit training is a real fat-burner. An applied blow-torch. You can become sculpted--chiseled--with this type of workout while improving overall athleticism. many of the movements selected for Maxwell-style circuits require a fair degree of coordination, athleticism and agility.

If you'd like to learn some terrific ideas for this type of fat-burning, athletic circuit training, get yourself to either over to Bow NH this weekend--there's still time!--or Edison NJ (with Zach Even-Esh) 12 July. Better yet--go to both. I'll be showcasing a lot of new stuff I've been working on out here in the wild.

Diet:

5:10 AM: supps w/ BCAAs

6:15 AM 30-min Joint Mobility

9:40 AM: 1 pemmican bar

10:40 AM: coffee w/ cream

1:15 PM: yogurt shake

2T whey concentrate
1 T rice bran
16 oz. 2% Fage Greek yogurt
apricot stevia sweetener

4:45 PM: Pre-W/O Power Drive, creatine, BCAAs

5:00 PM Workout

5:45 PM: BCAAs, creatine, rice syrup for 25 gr carbs

7 PM: 1 pint cream of greens & nettles soup
1-pint picadillo (ground beef & pork)
about 3 oz raw cheese

8:30 PM sleep stack

9 PM reading & meditation

9:30 PM lights out!


*******************************************************************
ASK COACH!
*******************************************************************

Q: I am 34 yrs old and 245 pounds (about 50 pounds overweight) I wanted to know what you ...recommend for starting out as I want to lose the excess weight, get really strong and be healthy. I saw your different products and wanted to know if it would be good to start on the 300 spartan workout and later move into kettlebells...I am just looking to get started and then really take off. Especially as now I work on a tight budget, but am not taking anymore excuses to get in shape. Any advice would be great.


A:
Start out with my Daily Dozen Joint Mobility,

http://maxwellsc.com/article-daily-dozen


coupled with an hour walk EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Buy a 16kg kettlebell and KB300 and do it 3 times/week, with a religious fervor, on non-consecutive days.

My online personal training is an incredible value--unparalleled on the web--and, coupled with diet advice, I CAN help you go after that stored-up body fat with unbridled fury.

You can't afford not to invest in your body and well-being. Time can be so short.
Yours in Strength & Health,
Steve

2 comments:

Shaf said...

Steve,

Tough workouts, great vids. I had a queston on the sledgehammer swings.

It seems like you are bringing the hammer up, then just letting it drop, not really slamming the hammer into the ground. Any reason for this other than you don't want to trash the grass?

You've got a cool blog, I check it reguarly.

Steve Maxwell said...

Hi Shaf,
Not trashing the grass is a part of it. Sledge work is better with an old stump. Another part is that by the time the video was being shot, I was a little fatigued--that's a 20# sledge and I was de-ccelerating a bit. The answer-behind-the-answer is I'm duplicating a throw, not a strike, so once I pull the hammer up there, I'm letting it fall with its own force, like you said. Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the blog and vids. More to come.
Steve