Friday, April 25, 2008

On the Maxercise Teacher Training Certification








This past weekend, Maxercise hosted its first Kettlebell Teacher Certification. The event was a resounding success. The participants were introduced to the Maxercise kettlebell teaching system. This system was developed by myself and my former student, John DiSimone. John was my first kettlebell student and is the current owner of Maxercise, located at 707 Chestnut St. in Philadelphia.

The Maxercise Kettlebell System is an exercise system promoting complete fitness and well-being. Emphasis is placed on mobility, range-of-motion and flexible strength. This may be the ultimate anti-aging system. All the benefits of yoga asana, weight training, and cardio can be had with the Maxercise System. The workout progressions were developed over eight years. Rarely is flexibility, mobility, coordination and balance contained within a strength training system.

Just as important as any system itself, is the teaching of that system. Maxercise was the first modern day kettlebell gym in the U.S. and I was the first instructor. After years of experimenting with almost every conceivable combination, we have come up with the ultimate structure and design for teaching successful kettlebell classes. At the certification, participants were given step-by-step direction on constructing and implementing the perfect kettlebell class. Everything from client information forms, goal setting, workout construction, client assessments and record keeping was covered.

Anyone interested in the amazing success of the Maxercise kettlebell program can take advantage and sign up for the next teacher training certification.


***********************************************
Ask Coach!
***********************************************

Q: ...
I have been doing your 300 bodyweight exercises off of your 300 DVD. I really want to take the reps to the next level and saw there is a 500 bodyweight exercise program that looks good, can you recommend this and if so how often shall I do it? I also hear that you can do a 1000 bodyweight challenge!? What are the pros and cons to these programs?

A: Know that once you get to a certain number with BW exercises, you get diminishing returns. It becomes a feat of endurance, not one of strength.

My advice is to invest in a weighted vest, and start out using about 10#.

If you are really interested in the endurance aspect, continue using my routine, but instead of doing 30 reps, for example, do 40 reps.
Or, simply go through the program faster--without breaking down in form, don't get sloppy.


Q: I have all your videos, and I was wondering what would be the best exercise to help strengthen a week clavicle, or collar bone, area. I hurt it doing BJJ years ago, and it just doesn't seem to have the strength like my other side. Any help would be great.

A:
This is a really bad injury and it's a difficult fix.

Do the KB Halo exercise (you can also use a barbell plate), using as little as a 25# BB plate if necessary. You're trying to build connective tissue and specifically, tendon strength.

Move slowly and smoothly, trying to increase the ROM behind the head as much as possible.

What else?

Invest in some club bells and start doing shield casts.

Look at the Youtube page wherein I demo the exercise. It's an ancient Iranian move.

If you can't afford clubbells, go to a Walmart or Kmart toy section and buy two of those big, orange, whiffle-ball bats.

Open them up and fill with sand, then super-glue and duct tape it back together. That makes a very serviceable clubbell. I had a pair in Philly for years that I kept in the backyard.

Thanks for writing. Thank you for your support.


Yours in Strength & Health!
Steve

4 comments:

Clint said...

Excellent news! I'm glad the first cert course was a success!

I've been using Kettlebells for about 2.5 years now (introduced by Mahler) and I've entertained the idea of obtaining a cert, but I've been hesitant about RKC and AKC.

I would much rather receive a certification from a great coach such as yourself, so I'm signing up when the time is right!

In the meantime, I just signed up for your September Kettlebell Course in San Jose. I feel that it's important I receive one-on-one coaching in order to refine my technique, and also learn from "the master" before obtaining a cert.

Your Cruel & Unusual 2 DVD is excellent (love the innovation!), and I've been doing Joint Mobility almost every day since purchasing and reviewing your lectures on the Boys Are Back In Town DVD.

You are an inspiration! See you in September!

Clint Clark
Everett, WA

Steve Maxwell said...

Thanks, Clint! I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.
Steve

Mich said...

Steve,
Agreed--your teaching is first rate! I thought your segments in the "Boys are Back in Town" dvd were the best.
After watching this dvd, I bought your 300 KB challenge and the Cruel and Unusual dvds. Great stuff!

One question I have directly relates to these dvds--you seem to advocate a more GS style of swing--hip snap is bad for the lower back in the 300 Challenge dvd, but in the cruel and unusual dvd you are actually telling folks to snap the hip. I'd love to see a blog about hip snap or no hip snap and why and also an analysis of Power breathing, etc and how it relates to KB exercises.

Keep up the GREAT work!

--Mich

Steve Maxwell said...

Thanks Mich!

I'm glad you enjoyed the DVDs, I put my heart into them. Those are great questions and I will address them. I'm a few blogs behind but I will get to them.
Thanks again,
Steve