On an especially beautiful Icelandic weekend, 8 & 9 August, the fourth Maxbells Teacher Certification was held in Reykjavik. The response was overwhelming! The students left glowing testimonials:
* What I liked the most was how it was organized. Steve is the best teacher I've had in fitness and he explained and talked us through it all. The course was fantastic and filled every expectation I had...and more. - Hilmar Arnarson* What I liked the most was how detailed the workouts were, they were very well explained and every question about them was answered. A very strong and hard seminar--loved it. Kettlebells rock and Steve Maxwell is a
f**king tough guy. - Haraldur Oli* I liked that we didn't beat the basics to death. I loved the joint mobility and Steve's knowledge of the body and anatomy and his ability to teach people who have no idea about what's inside the body and how it moves (or should) the way it does. Top-notch training from one of the world's best coaches. - Chad Keilen
The MaxBells Certification is the new kid on the block: it's where teachers come to learn. Unlike other certifications, which primarily work with technique and improving one's personal skill, the MaxBells Certification prepares you to teach and become a leader in the classroom or on the training floor. All aspects of goal-setting, the client interview, workout construction, teaching styles, classroom organization and that paramount, client retention, are fully covered. AMaxBells Certification graduate takes leave from the seminar with confidence, because the course provides the exact tools he or she needs to succeed as a teacher of group or private kettlebell classes. Actually, the people who gain the most are those coming in from the other certifying bodies--the RKCs and AKCs--this course fills in the sizable gaps left between. I've recently expanded my material and covered two full days of kettlebell goodness in Reykjavik. If you're interested in becoming a kettlebell instructor, look no further. If you're already using kettlebells as a coach, teacher or trainer, this course will greatly benefit you. Everyone leaves with a tremendous amount of knowledge ready to be put into action and new, original ideas.
While the emphasis is on learning teaching, already existing kettlebell skills are refined, an instructor-candidate must exhibit a high standard of competency in order to become certified. Certificates will not be issued to candidates unable to demonstrate this competency .
At the end of the course, on the last page of our manual, everyone is requested to answer three questions:
- What did you like about the course?
- What didn't you like about the course?
- What will you tell others about the course?
The answers from four certifications have proven to me I'm teaching the right stuff. Come to the cert and judge for yourself! I hope to be to welcome you to the next Maxbells Certification Sunday 21 September at Maxercise in Philadelphia. Contact Alma at the Maxercise front desk (215.928.1374) if you'd like to register, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This is my last East Coast certification for the 2008! I'll be making my way out west, via in Cleveland, Ireland(!), Toronto and Portland, then down to the SF Bay area, so if you want to get together, email me and let's get together for some memorable times. It all depends on what you consider fun...
Cleveland OH 11/12 October/KB Basics + BJJ
Toronto 1/2 November/BJJ + Conditioning weekend
Portland 9 November/MaxBells Cert
More about Iceland! The Icelanders proved to be star students: incredibly attentive, courteous, and always enthusiastic. The Icelandic public education system is second-to-none and every participant, at least grammatically, had better English skills than most North Americans! I so enjoyed working out those Vikings! My hosts, Gudjon Swannson and his enchanting (and wildly strong) wife, Vala Mork, Iceland's Kettlebell QUEEN--a true Valkyrie--were flawless. Every detail of organization, venue and set-up (not to mention hospitality) was superb. Gudjon has a most-enviable strength-to-weight ratio and an unstoppable physical prowess all wrapped up beneath the demeanor of a wise Viking chieftain.
I've always identified as part Viking and felt quite at home on this beautiful island.
For those who can't make the upcoming Philly cert, I'll be presenting a Level 1 Kettlebell Workshop Saturday 13 September in San Jose CA at Frank Shamrock's gym. It's going to be a terrific time, the house is full, but we'll make some room if you're motivated to acquire the basics.
What You Will Learn at the Level 1 Kettlebell Workshop
- Why the One-Arm Clean & Jerk may be the ultimate strength-endurance and cardio exercise
- How to use kettlebell training to improve mobility and athleticism
- The most overlooked attributes in physical training
- Four workouts from the DVD: Cruel and Unusual 2
- The Maxwell 300 series, Spartan-style kettlebell workout
- How to balance the shoulder girdle with pull-up power
- Kettlebell complexes:
- Get-up and Go
- Between Heaven and Hell
- Kettlebells for fat-loss and extreme muscular definition
- The Omelette for superior cardio conditioning
- Circular movements with kettlebells, for total core-conditioning
- Kettlebell workout construction and design
- Recovery and restoration techniques
- Hormonal balance and control for youthful vigor
- I'd like to mention how extremely pleased I am with your coaching. Your unrelenting focus on my weakest links shows me the true value of having a coach, of having an experienced guide leading me each step of the way. I'm only now beginning to understand that it really is "how you put it together." - John Bendorf
- Just wanted to express my thanks for your seminar this weekend. I am sore beyond belief, but that's good! Thanks for taking the time for personal instruction and answering my training questions. The seminar and yourself are very motivational. I came away from the seminar with a very changed perspective on fitness. - Sonny Ritscher
- I have trained with several coaches in the past, including a former strength coach of a pro football team, and while a few were excellent, I've had the best results under your guidance-thanks for all your help. - Steven Fink, MD
Enjoy the clip of the Reverse Turkish Get-Up--look at those Vikings go!
In Strength & Health,